Bonding the Housing

After doing all the due diligence with the laser, and the endless grinding and tuning, it was time to make this thing permanent.  I had center marks fore and aft on the bottom, and a center mark on the deck, to ensure the trunk was plumb.  I primed the boat and the part.  On the boat, since I was working directly over my face while lying flat on my back, I cut in just enough silica to keep the mixture from dripping down my chip brush.  With the boat and part primed, I put ample adhesive on both surfaces and pressed the part home.  To clamp it, I bolted it at both ends with 1/4-20 bolts coated in a quick rub of mold release.  The part lined up perfectly after a little love from a wooden door shim at the deck level.  After that cured off, I sanded and bagged a doughnut of DB90 around the perimeter.  This technique meant that I didn't have to worry about any laps or bumps which would require extra fairing buildup, or a change to the original rocker.







Comments

Popular Posts