Oversized Bag

After a lot of prep, I prepared to skin the entire starboard side with 200gsm carbon in one step.  In retrospect, it was the limit of what should be attempted when working alone.



The new house has an enormous deck that seemed like the logical place for making a 32' bag.

After rollin the entire area with resin to prime it, I started by putting a 2.25" strip of DB90 across the hull to deck joint.  I then added patching at the various stanchion contact points, and an extra layer at the winches.



Here I used the poor-man's pre-preg method.  It was hard work on the floor, and while I didn't welcome the concrete on my knees, it did have the advantage of slowing down the cure.  Using the squeegee on top of the layering keeps the whole process clean and tidy.  Pictured below, I am ready to trace each panel with a Sharpie and cut them out by hand.


Finally, it was time for peelply, breather, and a bag.  Feeling the resin starting to change, I ran in the house and commandeered Jacque as I started to panic as usual.




Comments

Popular Posts