Getting Sideways on Jib Tracks

The recesses for the jib tracks are a pretty tough puzzle.  The key to my ridiculous jib lead system is to have the tracks at exactly the right angle.  My goal is that when the car goes to leeward, only the headsail angle of attack changes.  Evan Walker added immensely to the ideas.  I don't want the twist to change, nor do I want the basic fullness of the sail to change.  In theory, the way to achieve this is to consider the forestay the axis of revolution.  If you sweep a jib triangle around that axis in 3D, you can estimate the track position and angle.  This is all well and good, but it's another thing entirely to copy that compound geometry onto an organically shaped boat.

Below I try to get the data from the computer into reality using my slice method, this time with 1/4" MDF.


Comments

Popular Posts