Preparing the Engine Bed

The Yanmar 2GMF20 is moving aft in the boat compared to its original location.  As I am a little unsure about the original layup, I wanted to add a fairly hefty carbon bed, not really to handle the static load, but rather overbuilt to handle the shake-weight problems one might expect in confused seas.  At the same time, with the new keel scantlings, I felt the urge to get a larger buildup down the centerline aft of the trunk.

Here's the result after pulling off the bag and peel ply.



To start with, I suited up and spend a long, uncomfortable shift with the 5" grinder to get down to the substrate.  Here you can see the plugged holes for the original saildrive, and inspection window.


I patterned the area with some 7mil mylar, and came up with a layup schedule that consisted of one large layer of plain weave, and a second layer of 400gsm DB90.  Down the center, I used an off-cut of some extremely hardcore uni.  I put a 16" wide band from the keel to the drop drive, and a 12" wide second layer that was stepped down in length as well.  Here is a picture of the pattern, with white peel ply marked and cut underneath.


Here is what it looks like all bagged up.  I put the heaters downstairs and left the Pro-Set to bake for 24 hours.


Since I was working in the vicinity, for the next step, I went ahead and tabbed in the inside DD housing with two layers of DB 90, one at 5.5" and one at 4" wide.  I didn't get many pics of this step.  First, I ran a rather large fillet, then while it was still gummy, I bagged down the two tape layers.  It was actually quite difficult to get my bag sealed, and I was thanking baby Jesus for the long cure resin when I was struggling at 2am.  

As an aside, did I mention consumables?  Composite fabrication can generate a lot of trash.  In fact, it generates much more than I foresaw when I began this mission four years ago.  At my core, I want to do good for the earth, and there are moments that are definitely cringe-worthy.





Comments

Popular Posts