Cornucopia Part II

As I am relying on the bevel of the lid to make a good seal, I wanted a tight match between the lid and the fridge body.  To do this, I used the lid as a mold and created a matched frame.

Step one involved priming, sanding, and waxing up the lid.  Once it seemed ready to act as a mold, into the bag she went to have a carbon base frame molded in place.  



After that first bag, core material was added around the tapered frame to create a stable rectangular insert.


Unfortunately, it ended up being a pretty big challenge to de-mold.  Here is a pic where I am pressing on the bottom of the lid to try to bust her free.  I actually bent/broke the car jack from the Mercedes Metris work truck with this stupidity.  There was a moment when it seemed more likely that I would pick up the house, then have her release, but somehow with some big C-clamps and the rubber mallet, she finally let go.



I built a quick hinge out of masking tape, turned up the public radio, and generally felt pretty psyched to see the lid in action.


While these pics are somewhat out of order, one can see the general evolution of getting the new lid frame mounted into the fridge box, the hull side wall fabrication, and the addition of insulation.



























Comments

Popular Posts