Renewing Trailer Bunks

The bunks off the old trailer were in terrible shape.  The aft ones were cracked along their bottom flanges, and were getting crushed by the boat.  I looked at making altogether new ones, but decided to refurbish them instead.

Once I peeled off the rotting carpet, and sanded off all the old contact cement, I ground away at the failed areas with the Kutzall ball and the pneumatic 90.  Upon closer inspection, I decided the solution would be to build carbon "L" channels to beef them up.  Rather than directly glassing the bunks themselves, I decided to fabricate these parts on the workbench.  I made a quick and dirty mold, which was a skewed "U" shape, as the angles involved were not a true 90.  After bagging, I split the U and glued everything up.  From there it was just a little bit of fairing, some primer, and a nice Awlgrip topcoat.




Neither the first, nor the last part to get a little baseboard heat in the bathroom.








Comments

Popular Posts