Paint Guns and Air Tools

A long time ago I bought a paint gun from Baxter's in Port Angeles.  With no experience, I sprayed the appendages for my old Melges 24.  Things came out quite orange peeled, but with the bit of sanding effort, I got the result I was looking for.

These last week, I've gone down the rabbit hole on coatings.  As I have been getting close to laying 545 primer on the top decks, I started digging around for info.  On this subject, I found the Boatworks Today videos pretty reasonable, and I added to my almost nonexistent understanding with info from Kris Henderson, Evgeniy (Ev) Goussev, and Collin Taylor.

Ev loaned me his 3m Accuspray, on Nov 4, and I quickly determined that my existing air compressor was not up to the job as I couldn't get the CFM needed.  That curve ball sent me off to buy a 5HP/ 60 Gal unit from Cascade Machinery & Electric.

Finally with the new Quincy in hand, I plumbed my garage in copper pipe with multiple drops.  In classic Dan fashion, I've got  to cool dry air at the outlets, but I still have no idea how to paint.







Comments

Popular Posts