Hydraulic Assembly

 It's amazing how much time I wasted thinking in circles, sourcing my hydraulic parts, and cobbling my system together.  Altogether, it took two shipments from Harken, four trips to Motion & Flow Control Products, two trips to O-Reilly's Autoparts, and a trip to Fisheries Supply.  I made three extra hoses that are headed for the circular file, and ended up with a couple stainless fittings that still need to be returned.  I don't even want talk about the total cost.  

While I didn't add hydraulic fluid to confirm a successful design, the system should work as follows.  Just ahead of the traveller, there is a pump handle that is easily accessible by the mainsheet trimmer on either tack.  There will also be a small string led to each side that will activate a "string drop" to bleed pressure, effectively loosening rig tension.  The goal is be able to adjust mast ram pressure from normal sailing positions.  I added a pressure gauge directly under the companionway on center, and built the system to handle the 6000 lbs of expected line pressure.  Near where the primary hydraulic line connects to the internal mast ram, I added hydraulic quick release.  This will allow easy connection when stepping the mast.

Here is a look at the cockpit layout to show the position of the pump handle.  A closer look shows the pressure gauge centered under companionway step.

To mound the gauge, I printed a quick template on some printer paper, taped it to a G10 scrap, and cut and sanded the outline to match.  I tapped the G10 quickly with a 10-24 thread, but am a little leary whether the threads will hold long term.


A close look here shows the stainless quick release fitting near the mast butt.  It is super similar to an air-hose fitting.  It should be interesting to see if it leaks fluid connected, or not, as advertised.

Working from left to right, the far puck is the string drop module which still needs some Dynema and pulleys.  Next is the pressure relief valve, pre-set at 10,000 lbs.  Both drain into the reservoir.  Attached to the pump, note the low pressure pickup line complete with inline filter, followed by the high pressure branch.  The hydraulic lines split and head down to feed the mast ram and pas through the bulkhead to connect the pressure gauge.  

I find it amazing that the reservoir can be mounted below the pump.  It should be interesting how difficult it is to bleed the system and get it primed.  I resisted the urge to fill it up and try it out.  Having everything dry-fit, I then broke it apart and removed it from the boat.  There is no point in contaminating the surfaces with oil before I butter and paint the downstairs.


Comments

Popular Posts