A Pile of Angles

I worried about how to make these chainplate boxes for at least a year.  The original ones as pictured below are just huge and took up too much interior space, so replicating those was out of the question.

I designed the chainplates about 550 different ways, and none were very elegant.  Finally, I just freaked out and pulled the trigger on a method using the hot glue gun to capture a general geometry.  The problem is that there are just too many angles in play.  I think I got it, but i'm not entirely sure.  


Here's a peek at the originals that I butchered.  Keep in mind that these were retrofitted after the original mast broke. This is the same box you will find on all stock Melges 32s but they are huge, and I was hell bent on trying my hand at a composite solution.  I guess I wanted the challenge out of some kind of sickness, but I justified the extra work by reminding myself that composite chainplates can't leak, as they are literally part of the boat, instead of a metal plate that penetrates the deck.

To cut the parts, I had to make a sled for the table saw to slice the slim angle.  Maybe there is a better way, but I just couldn't think of it, and I really needed to push this forward as it has been haunting me for far too long.














Comments

Popular Posts