Does My Ass Look Big?

Questions about weight are always stressful.  

Brad showed up at my house, so we decided to play with his scale.  The bare boat came in at 1260 lbs, but that's with nothing, not even hatch boards.  I threw everything I could find on the boat for a second weigh-in and got her up to 1375 lbs.  That number included most everything, but not the mast, keel, nor motor.  This measurement also did not include any hardware, rigging, wiring, plumbing, or tanks.  

The Melges 32 is supposed to weigh 3774 lbs, with the keel accounting for somewhere between 1570-1600 lbs.  Let's look at the math.

3700-1375-1600 = 725 lbs.

This suggests that there is 725 lbs to allocate to the missing stuff.  If I had to guess, I would say we will come in a couple hundred pounds over a stock Melges 32, but nothing to cry about.







Comments

Popular Posts