Kriss Kross

Four winches.  That's it.

In order to take spin sheets and pit ropes to the open spot, I got creative.  The boat came with a bunch of old Frederickson blocks, so I harvested their sheaves to create bearing points for cross-overs.  Not only can spin sheets trim to cabin top winches, but jib and spin sheets can be windward sheeted.  Additionally, anything on the port pit bank can be led to the opposite side winch.  Here's how the puzzle went together.


Since these will take heaps of load, I buried G10 plugs all the way to the inside core of the side decks and cabin top.



With those plugs bonded in place, I capped them with a slightly larger G10 disks to create a riser as needed for fair runs.

To fasten them down, I used threaded keyed inserts from McMaster Carr.  Here's a look at the one next to the port pit winch.  You have to imagine the blue rope wrapping the sheave and headed to the winch in the background of the photo.



Comments

Popular Posts