Cornucopia Part I

The kitchen module, by design, dictates a small fridge.  To try to maximize the volume, I came to the unconventional plan to extend the icebox cavity under the sink.  The resulting shape, a classic Horn o Plenty.


To begin the process, I spent some time with the hot glue gun and 3" strips of door skin.  I resized it a few times and kept testing sight lines and my reach when buried up to my armpit.  


Research proved a pretty good R value for 5lb PVC foam core.  With a spare sheet of 1" in inventory, I bagged on some glass skins, and then recreated my goofy box, this time for real.


Here's a n upside-down look at figuring it out within the kitchen module.  The shape is dictated by the additional 2" of pink insulation foam which should make the small box nicely efficient.  


For the lid I stacked foam and bevelled it on the table saw, leaving the last layer with vertical walls to accept concealed hinges.


The lid was laid up as a bottom rectangle, and an edge wrap, first worked out with a Mylar template.



Apparently I'm getting better at this whole game.  The lid seemed pretty shipshape coming straight out of the bag.  The small black tab on top is an idea for a handle.  Using a bit of ribbon webbing certainly would be lighter than a big stainless handle.


For the hinges, it was back to the home-made CNC to make some wooden plugs for the core.


Filling and priming seemed like the right move before closing this thing up.  I'm still not exactly sure how this is all going to work and fit together.





Comments

Popular Posts